Monday, September 10, 2007

3 For All

With a solid first post under my belt, I think I'm ready to tackle my second. After skimming some of the other articles, I found myself intrigued by, "A Practical Guide to Social Networking", by Rob Cross, Jeanne Liedtka, and Leigh Weiss. They discussed three types of social networks: customized response, modular response, and routine response. Each are designated for their respective industries.

I do believe it is important for a company to strategically choose a method that works best for them. In addition, each department within the company may take alternative routes to the same result but the types of social networks must be clear and known by everyone in the company. Though some communication methods may be informal, there needs to be a good amount of organization. These different types generate a game plan for an effective communication flow. I have to wonder if there are any other types of social networks.

Lastly, I feel that more connectivity is better. This article claims that is not always the case, however I believe in todays world with key terms like globalization, teams, and work groups that social networks and connectivity are the oil to a car--they make it run. The spread of knowledge, in my eyes, can only be a good thing.

http://sixdegrees.wikidot.com/local--files/reading-history/practicalguide.pdf

No comments: